- Web site
How to get
by train, get off at the Poggio Mirteto Scalo station, railway line FL 1 Fiumicino-Orte and take COTRAL bus. We strongly suggest you checking the website www.cotralspa.it
by car, exit at Ponzano Romano-Soratte A1 highway and drive through SR 657 until Galantina crossroads, turn left and follow the indications.
Municipality: 0765 63020
Pharmacy: Dr. Leproux, Via San Giuseppe 12 tel: 0765 63591
Post office: via Umberto I tel: 0765 63665
The first document dealing with Roccantica, at the time Fundus Antiquum, dates back to 792. In 840 the Fundus became part of Farfa Abbey’s territory. The town was founded in 864 when, in order to build protection to keep Saracens away, it was completely surrounded by walls. At this point its name changed from Fundo to Rocca. When during the papaly conflicts Roccantica supported Niccolò II against Benedetto X the Crescenzi family attacked the town. Roberto D’Altavilla, Niccolò’s ally, freed the town from its enemies. From the XII until the XIII century St. Valentino Church ruled most of the territory until the workforce of the area asked the Sabina’s Noble Roberto Albarupe to write a legal statute and he finally conceded the 26th of May 1326. The manuscript is perfectly preserved in the public historical archive of Roccantica. In 1427, Armellao De Bastonis became owner of the castle and governor of the town. Later Pope Giovanni XXIII (then antipope) gave the town and the curacy territory to Francesco Orsini. The Orsini family owned it until Flavio Orsini’s death in 1698. Since the entire masculine side of the family died, Roccantica went back to the Apostolic Chamber until 1860 when the Plebiscite allowed Roccantica to become part of the Italian State.
Did you know?
Inside the property Tenuta Tacita Country Club situated in Palombara area, there is a wonderful rose garden, Vacunae Rosae. The rose garden is historical, cultural and artistic tour in the rose world with 130 sections and thematic trails.
The flowing water of the garden is divided in order to serve 9 fountains. The Psyche pool is hidden in the middle of the rose maze.
Places of interest
Roccantica hosts a medieval Castle and many Churches belonging to different centuries. Roccantica can be a very good starting point for a mountain walk. Niccolò II Tower was a defence tower with a squared shape that still today dominates the view. Below the tower there is Piedirocca Church that preserves an image representing the Holy Virgin with the Child. We suggest visiting St. Valentino Church built much earlier than 792, rebuilt in 1300, partially destroyed in 1932 and today turned into a War Memorial, S. Maria Assunta in Cielo Church (1749) built on a pre-existing church and St. Giuseppe Church strongly wanted by marquis Vincentini on F. Fontana’s project. This church is characterized by the presence of precious marbles, a pipe organ dating back to the age of construction and a painting by the painting school of Berrettini from Cortona. Don’t miss St. Caterina d’Alessandria Church, noble church owned by the governor Armellao de Bastonis with entirely frescoed walls. Last but not least the Castle-Monastery of the Poor Clares and St. Chiara Church. The monastery was built in the 1583 on the riuns of Orsini Castle. Going to via Finocchieto you will see a Roman Seminary for Reformed Franciscans (S. Antonio da Padova) built on Orsino Orsini’s orders in 1454. The place hosted the seminarian Angelo Roncalli who became Pope Giovanni XXIII.
- Falesia di Roccantica
- Monte Pizzuto
- Paths of Eremi di S. Leonardo e S. Michele
Stables and riding trails
- Centro Ippico San Lorenzo: Via S. Lorenzo 19 - tel: 0765 63893 - 333 5777184
- Extra Virgin Oil