How to get
By train: get off at Poggio Mirteto station on the railway line FL 1 Fiumicino-Orte. Connected by Troiani bus to the city centre every 15 minutes.
By car: leave the A1 highway at Ponzano Romano, take the SR 657 to Galantina and take the SS 313 to Poggio Mirteto. At the roundabout take Via Provinciale Stazione leading to the city centre.
Municipality: 0765 4051
Health Care: Distretto Mirtense Salario, via Finocchieto snc tel: 0765 448229
Pharmacy: Via Matteotti 11 tel: 0765 24128 - Via Ternana 72 tel: 0765 26068 - via G. de Vito tel: 0765 410441
Carabinieri: Comando Compagnia Poggio Mirteto, Via Finocchieto tel: 0765 423465
Fire fighter: Zona artigianale Località Capacqua tel: 0765 26006
Post office: via Roma 51 tel: 0765 421027 e via Ternana 46 – tel: 0765 26282
COTRAL Spa: Via Provinciale Stazione 1 tel: 0765 26891
The history of Poggio Mirteto seems to start between XIII and XIV century. The first official quote about Poggio Mirteto as a city originates from documents of 1294 uncovered inside the Sant'Andrea di Acquariciariis church.
At that time the city appears to have been well-organized and walled. Nevertheless the presence of a I century villa, named Bagni di Lucilla and in San Valentino (a Poggio Mirteto suburb), is proof that the city has been occupied since the Roman period. During the second half of XIII century some populations, needing to feel safer, built a castle on the podium of the myrtles in order to defende themselves. But the end of the feudal age and the Castrum’s loss of strategic and economic value led to the current urban arrangement. At that time the city was divided into two parts: the ancient part clinging to the hill, that still retains its medieval appearance; and the modern part that spread past the Porta Farnese to the valley, hoping to find new political and economical opportunities.
Did you know?
The birth of the small hamlet of Castel San Pietro (to Poggio Mirteto suburb) dates back before 1000 A.D. An important document called Chronicon farfense proves the hamlet domination by different families: the Farnese's, the Orsini's, the Mattei's and the Bonaccorsi's which gave the current appearance to the palace. The historic dwelling, recently restored, offers the opportunity to stay and host receptions. We suggest starting the tour from Piazza Grande, in order to appreciate the most beautiful parts of the hamlet.
Places of interest
The ancient town is enclosed within fourteenth century walls. The typical alleys lead to the current bishop's palace. Leaving the ancient town you can appreciate Piazza dei Martiri della Libertà, an oblong square developed between the Reinassance Porta Farnese and the Baroque St. Rocco Church. The Assunta's Cathedral, in the main square, was built between 1641 and 1725. It consists of three artistically important naves. It has a sixteenth-century processional cross which is linked to a legend: it is said that it was stolen from St. Giovanni in Laterano Basilica during the Sack of Rome and later left in the Poggio Mirteto countryside. The Poggio Mirteto priests found it and gave it back, but the St. Giovanni chapter donated it to the Assunta's Cathedral. The St. Paolo Church is not far from it. It was built in the thirteenth-century and is decorated with frescoes including the Triumph of Death. It's famous for its antiquity and especially its beauty.
Unmissable: St. Paul Church, the Selva Marcigliana, St. Valentine pathways and Castel San Pietro.
- Casale Montorso nella Riserva Naturale Regionale Nazzano – Tevere Farfa.
- Azienda agricola Sant’Antonio, Via Formello 4, Poggio Mirteto Scalo – 0765 26037 – 338 9509956 - www.tenuta-santantonio.it
- Cheeese Cacio Magno
- Pagnotta poggiana
- Pasta Senatore Cappelli
- Amaro mirtense