Poggio Catino

Web site
http://www.comune.poggiocatino.ri.it/
poggio catino chiesa
poggio catino chiesa

How to get

  • public transport: from the train station Poggio Mirteto Scalo (railway line FL 1 Fiumicino-Orte and take COTRAL. bus. We suggest checking the website in order to have the latest information www.cotralspa.it

  • by car, exit highway A1 Ponzano Romano-Soratte in direction of Forano, take SR 657 until its end, then follow the SS 313 until the crossroads with SP 48 that leads to the town.

Useful numbers

Municipality: 0765 411021

Pharmacy: Dr Cortellini Pierluigi , via Roma 19 tel: 0765 411219

Post office: Piazza indipendenza 12  tel: 0765 411616

Historical overview

Poggio Catino (Podium de Catini) and Catino are two small villages very close to each other. Both of them belong to the same municipality.

The foundation of Catino was thanks due to the Longobard Duchy of Spoleto (VII century) when a group of warriors used to control the territory. Catino was a sort of border that divided the Roman Duchy with the Longobards lands. Exactly in this place the Longobards decided to build a fortress with a watchtower in order to control the access to the street.

In the XI century Catino and all its lands passed under Farfa Abbey domination. The impossibility of enlarging Catino, due to its particular geographic position, and the desire to keep its economic and political development under control, were the main reasons which led to the foundation of Poggio Catino.

Poggio Catino was mentioned for the first time in 1072 in the Regesto Farfense and Chronicon Farfense by Gregorio da Catino. Later the Castle and the hillock of the town became their own municipality but continued to be dominated by the baronial families of the place, Counts St. Eustachio, Orsini, Savelli and Olgiati.

Thank to the Olgiati family in 1616 important works  like the aqueduct, the restoration of St. Nicola Church and the baronial building took place. Later the 6th of July 1816 Pope Paolo VII abolished the feudal law and at a later stage in October of the same year Giovan Battista Olgiati renounced his own baronial jurisdiction on Poggio Catino and Catino. Many years later in 1853 Poggio Catino, with Catino as its hamlet, became an independent municipality.

Did you know?

The Mistery of the White Lady

In 1933 inside the Olgiati Palace an old but perfectly untouched cell with the skeleton of the White Lady (XVI century) belonging to the Colonna family was found. 

Triplice Cinta

Three concentric squares connected by central lines making a cross on the wall of Catino, terribly misunderstood by the archeological teams that thought it was a simple Tris game, are the track left by initiates to indicate a place where earth energies were present.

Places of interest

There are numerous stories, legends and mysteries which characterize Catino and Poggio Catino. After visiting St. Katherine Church, St. Agostino, St. Nicola of Bari Churches and St. Antonio Abate Convent we strongly suggest visiting the ancient fortress built on the previous Templar building called La Terra.

You also must see the longobard Tower in Catino and the Silla Thermal Baths situated close to the cemetery (they probably date back to the Roman age and were owned by Lucio Cornelio Silla), the XVII century aqueduct in Poggio Catino, the unique St. Michele rock sanctuary located in a cave and surrounded by Tancia Mountain forest. Researchers believe that it was originally dedicated to the Goddess Vacuna, the Sabin divinity of water and forest. This thesis is supported by the discovery of a female figure carved from a stalactite, which unfortunately disappeared 25 years ago.

The Christianization of the cave Recent studies date the IV century which is connected to the legend of St. Sylvester legend who defeated an terryfing dragon.

Must see: The Piccolo Museo, open every Sunday for the entire day and the Triplice Cinta.

Nature tours

  • Località La Botte, Località Cisterna, Località Trio, Località Tancia

Stables and riding trails

  • Centro Ippico San Lorenzo, via Spineto 19 - tel: 0765 63893/338 1617434

Typical products

  • Cheese
  • Extra Virgin Oil
  • Wine