How to get
by bus: connected to all the surrounding villages by COTRAL bus. We suggest you check the website in order to get the latest information: www.cotralspa.it
by car: leave the A1 highway at Ponzano Romano, take the SR 657 to Galantina and take the SS 313 to Casperia. Following traffic signs, go to Montasola
Pharmacy: Via Forcella 23 tel: 0746 675110
Health care: tel: 3470838363
Post office: Via casalini 2 tel: 0746 675141
Road assistance: Tenente Gabriele Baldoni tel: 380 2027740
Montasola is a picturesque medieval village 604 meters above sea level.
It's positioned on Tancia Mountain, overlooking the valley of the Aia river. During ancient times it was known by the name Curtis de Lauri (Lauri's city).
It was built, in the early Middle Ages by order of the Farfa monks, on the ruins of many Roman rustic villas. In the tenth century it was taken from them to found the medieval Castellum de Lori.
On 11 August 1191 Pope Celestine III centralised the population on St. Peter hill, leading to the birth of Montasola's Castrum. In the fourteenth century Montasola, with other villages, rose against the Holy See, becoming a prohibited land.
Many noble families led the city from that moment onwards, including the Orsini's and the Savelli's.
In 1609 the city fell under the rule of the Papal State, until 1861 (unification of Italy). It became an indipendent village in 1946.
Did you know?
Unmissable: S.Maria delle Morelle (Laurum ancient site). This holy building has a fourteenth-century facade filled with marble adornments depicting lions, eagles and other animals. Those adornments hail probably from other classic buildings which existed in this area. It was restored in 1693.
Places of interest
The hamlet still maintains its ancient medieval appearance.
We suggest starting the tour from one of its most important squares: Piazza della Porta. Here is the only one of sixteen towers with a sloping base still preserved from which it's possible admire a beautiful landscape.
Palazzo Pucci is a seventeenth-century palace situated in Via Piana, between Piazza della Porta and Piazza Umberto I where stands another seventeenth-century palace: Palazzo dell'Opera Pia Cimini. It was an historical complex made up of a hospital, an oratory and a little church known as the Chiesetta dell'Oratorio.
Parco del Monte is a natural terrace from which it's possible to see Cottanello, a nearby town.
Piazza S. Pietro is the main square where the Town hall is situated, a stone fountain, an ancient milling wheel, the Archives palace, the Communal Oven still used and the Sts. Peter and Thomas Church. In this church it's possible to see the ruin of a Domenico Rainaldi fresco (fourteenth century).